Characteristics of training types
Posted: 25 February 2011 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2009-04-21

Was wondering if two equal 100% equal people were to do different types of training equal in time (one standard weight training and cardio)&(2 circuit training weights/cardio combined)what characteristics/advantage and approx % better each would be in regards to strength, power, speed, & cardiovascular capacity would each have.  Is it significant enough that one type of training would be deemed better over another or is it specific to goals?
Thanks in advance,

Signature 

For real smart fitness advice - http://www.exercisebiology.com!

Posted: 25 February 2011 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1374
Joined  2008-07-28

Hi Rob,

How will you define circuit training? The same exercises done in a circuit without any rest between exercises? And cardio combined means?

Signature 

Exercise Biology - The Science of Exercise & Nutrition

Posted: 28 February 2011 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-21

Just a hypothetical scenario.  Circuit example lets say 5 rounds: Sledge hammers, tire flips, sled push/pull, and medicine ball squat to throw.  This would be cardio intensive as the heart rate would be increased.
Does this training provide benifit (and if so how much +/-) vs a more traditional workout (20min cardio machine warm up followed by 3 sets of 8 of weight training.
Thanks,

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2011 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-28

That’s a good question.

Total body conditioning: Circuit workout > Traditional Workoout
Cardiovascular benefits: Circuit workout > Traditional
Muscle size: Traditional > Circuit (I am guessing you are focusing on weight progression with a traditional workout. This is hard when you do a circuit kind of workouts)
Functional Strength:Circuit > Traditional
Deadlift or bench press strength: Traditional > Circuit (The more you do that lift, the better your strength in those lifts)

Does that help, Rob? I think it is better to layout your goals and needs and then pick a workout.

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2011 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-21

Thanks Anoop!  What type of workout program should one do to get the maximum benefits of both types of training?

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2011 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2010-04-11

If you want both cardio and strength (I think that’s what you’re asking) I would do traditional cardio and traditional strength training. Depending on how much time you have you could do 2 days strength and 2 days cardio or 3 days strength 2 days cardio, or the other way around, or do them in the same day. I think it’s better to do it like that than to try to find one form of working out that will get you both.

Posted: 03 March 2011 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-28

The problem with a circuit training using sledge hammer and tires is the lack of progression. How do you go up in weights? You can only do more reps which then becomes more endurance training.

And the faster you move between sets., the less your strength is. But that’s the compromise.

You can work on conditioning on another day like Karky mentioned. Sledge pull, uphill walk are good for conditioning. And you can keep your regular workout rest time shorter and move fast between sets. Or just one day per week do all the functional stuff like tire flip, sledge hammer and such. In strongman training, some do just one day for strongman event training and the rest of the days are regular weight room workouts.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2011 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-21

Thanks I’ll try to incorporate those recommendations!

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2011 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-28

Let us know how the workouts goes, Rob.

Signature