Training Split for size
Posted: 06 June 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-06-03

I am trying to put together a split program which focuses on building muscle mass (size). I am trying to form a monday-friday program with no rest, each muscle group twice a week.
I choose twice a week for each muscle group due to research i have compiled, best frequency for size. Please give me your opinion on this.

The musle groups i am trying to sort out are chest, back, legs, biceps, triceps, shoulders.(2week each)
Please add them to the table below and explain why they are placed were they are, like chest should never be placed after shoulders due to shoulders being a secondary muscle group when doing chest.

Mon-
Tue-
Wed-
Thur-
Fri-

Also should i split arms into to biceps and triceps? again this split routine is fixed on size.
Please stick to mon-fri i can only workout those days.

Posted: 06 June 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1081
Joined  2009-03-25

Hi.
Please supply some info about you training stats, it’s very hard to recommend training regime without knowing this stuff

Posted: 06 June 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1340
Joined  2008-07-28

Hi Brandon,

Fill in he table and we will take a look at it and give suggestions and recommendations.

Signature 

Exercise Biology - The Science of Exercise & Nutrition

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-06-03

Weight-160
Height-5,11
Age-18
Hardgainer

At this moment i workout when i can and usually do a bit of everything, pretty fit, sorta thin.job gets in the way at the moment but during the summer and college i will be working out on a regualr basis. I have alot of experience when it comes to fitness

Typical workout when i can,

Legs—
Squats 3x6-8
Leg Press 3x6-8
Leg Extensions3x8
Straight Leg Dead2x8

Back-
deadlifts3x8
lat pull down3x8
Rows(db)3x8

Chest-
flat bench (bb) 3x8
incline (db) 3x8
chest dips

shoulders-
arnold press (db) 3x6-8
laterl raise 3x8
front raises 3x8

biceps
pull ups (weighted down) 5x8
curl (ez bar) close 3x8
curl (ez bar) wide 3x8

tricep
dips weighted 45lb 3x15
scull crushers 3x10
tri-pull down 3x10

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-06-03

this is what i am thinking, each muscle group is 2x week.

Mon-back     and arms      
tue- chest   and ???? CHEST
wed-legs     and shoudlers
thu- arms     and back
fri- shoudlers and legs

I need help filling this out, my shoulders comes after chest, i have read on articels that they should be away from each other?? shoulders are secondary and are workout with chest.

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2010-10-19

Hi Brandon,

How long have you been training?
As you surely already heard:

Focus on Basic and compound exercises and eat well.

I donĀ“t want to be a cookie cutter ass, but whats up with that?:

http://www.lylemcdonald.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696

Posted: 06 June 2012 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-06-03

I have been training for about 2-3 years seriously, though on and off, starting in mid june i will be working out regularly.

Thanks for the link, if you look at what i do right now its sorta similar in a way, its hard for me to do everything at once with heavy weight, by the time i reach shoulders i can hardly lift any weight because of chest. Also my grip strength weakens ALOT over the period of my workout.

My biggest issue was my routine getting more complex and using heavy weights, think its time to do splits.

Posted: 06 June 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2010-10-19

Well regarding frequency,also read also this:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html

Regarding your efford:

If you do a split routine and you power yourself out on the first exercise, you probably have no energy left for the other ones. Same problem here.

Try to work with sets across: Use the same weight for all sets and slowly build up from there. No need to hit failure. With this you will have energy left for other exericeses too.

Posted: 07 June 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1340
Joined  2008-07-28

I have been training for about 2-3 years seriously, though on and off, starting in mid june i will be working out regularly.

Thanks for the link, if you look at what i do right now its sorta similar in a way, its hard for me to do everything at once with heavy weight, by the time i reach shoulders i can hardly lift any weight because of chest. Also my grip strength weakens ALOT over the period of my workout.

My biggest issue was my routine getting more complex and using heavy weights, think its time to do splits.

Just 2-3 sets per exercise. If you feel good that day, go for 3. You can do one set of the isolation exercises too. Or just skip the isolation.

Have a protein shake during your workout or eat a high carb meal before workout.

And you don’t have to hit every body part twice a week. you can pick a weaker body part and hit just that twice a week.

Signature 

Exercise Biology - The Science of Exercise & Nutrition