Thoughts about “A Workout Routine” and “A Calorie Counter”?
Posted: 14 November 2017 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-07-12

Hey,

I’m very curious as to what you would say of “A Workout Routine” (website, with links to social medias). The author calls himself Jay and has a long page about himself (about), but wants to stay anonymous. He’s also the author of “A Calorie Counter” (website), one place where such a claim is made is here. I don’t doubt that connection. However, I slightly doubt the credibility of the content of those sites. Each has a (in my eyes) rather extensive guide, one is about the best workout routine (this) and the other one is about the best diet plan (this).

I want to believe what he says because I think guides like those are nice to have, instead of needing to dig through various sources yourself. He also appears to have many thousand followers, but that doesn’t mean that he is any more credible. Besides, if he is such a good source, why don’t more people follow him? I haven’t seen him post a single source for any of his statements, and it doesn’t help that he writes informally. On the other hand, I think what he says sounds very logical (at least most of the times, but I don’t know much about biology).

I suppose the scientific way would be to ditch the guy because you will never be able to tell if he’s telling the truth without any sources. Alternatively, you could take some samples of what he says and compare that to science. Based on that you can then make a pretty good guess on if he’s sticking to science or not.

I’m split, what would you say about this? Ultimately, I’m looking for a training plan that fits me, and as a man of science, knowing why I’m doing what I’m doing would feel better. Is there any go-to place for learning about the science behind training (and diet)? This website? Or any other?

/G

Posted: 15 November 2017 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1143
Joined  2009-03-25

Hello
What is your training status?

Posted: 16 November 2017 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1415
Joined  2008-07-28

Hey G,

Thank for joining the forum!

Welcome to the world of lifting! Everyone who starts out has exactly the same problem as you have.The problem is there are 100’s of “jay” like this out there. If you keep searching, you would be even more confused.

Whats your current training routine? I am guessing you are a beginner. Well, if you want to learn the science behind training and diet, this place is a good start. We will help as much as we can.

A few other people you can check out are ALan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, Lyle Mcdonald.

and you are welcome to ask any training or nutrition elated questions here.

Signature 

Exercise Biology - The Science of Exercise & Nutrition

Posted: 17 November 2017 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2017-07-12

Okay, thank you. Yeah, I would consider myself a beginner. I played tennis from age five to seventeen, not much the last years. Then I’ve worked out at the gym in periods, where the last period lasted a couple of months (like four) and ended when summer came this year. I haven’t worked out since. The last time I stepped into a gym was the 15th of june, i.e. about five months ago. The summer break was planned, the rest was not. I started studying at university level three months ago and have since felt unmotivated to train, but now looking to start again.

Other info:
Height: 183 cm
Weight: 70 kg (dropped from about 74 kg during the last five months)
I don’t easily gain weight (judging by experience)

During the last gym period I followed this workout routine, the three day version. It worked in the sense that it gave results, but I have very little to compare to and I’m not sure how well it worked. I log every workout using an app (FitNotes) to help keep track of my progress, unfortunately I accidentally removed all of my data some months ago (thought it was backed up).

In the end of the last gym period, I could:
Barbell squat - 3 sets of 6-8 reps, 80 kg
Barbell bench press - 3 sets of 6-8 reps, 45 kg

I’m not sure if I should continue with the same routine as before and am very open to suggestions. I’m looking to train three (or four) times a week, but that also depends on the length of the workouts.

Posted: 17 November 2017 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

I think A/B split you done is far more advanced, then what you really need at the moment
I think it would be better to use very simple full body workouts 3 times a week, using 1-2 exercise for each muscle group
mostly compounding, but isolations/machines is good too
You need to bring youself to gym and make a it a habbit
An examlpe of such programm:

1.squat/leg press/lounges
2.leg flexing/romanian deadlift
3.high pull/low pull
4.bench press/hammer press/dips
5.some biceps movement(your choice)
6.seated press/lateral raises
7.some triceps movement (your choice)

Posted: 18 November 2017 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1415
Joined  2008-07-28

I was about to say pretty much the same thing.

In beginners, better to have a higher frequency to practice technique.
Keep your reps around 12-15 and every 2 weeks lower it like 10-12 and 8-10. So do a cycle for 8-10 weeks.
Stay way from failure and go to failure maybe once week for a muscle group.
For you I think 2-3 sets is good enough. 2 sets probably better. Less is more.
Focus on getting calories in. think about some quick food that you can have it everyday.
If you want, you can keep a log here.

Signature 

Exercise Biology - The Science of Exercise & Nutrition

Posted: 21 November 2017 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2017-07-12

Sorry for the delay. This sounds good! How long should the rest times be between sets and exercises? Like, how fast can I continue with the next set and/or exercise after finishing a set?

Posted: 21 November 2017 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

Compounded 2-3 min.
Isolated 1-2

Posted: 22 November 2017 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2017-07-12

Okay, great. I’ll get on it then, thanks!

Posted: 22 November 2017 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

Don’t hesitate to ask more questions
good luck