Prevent Cancer in 8 Simple Steps
April 06 2012
How do you prevent cancer or can cancer be prevented? My Mom passed away a couple of years back from cancer. So I know how dreadful this diease can be - not just to the patient but also to people near to them. Here are the latest scientific recommendations to prevent cancer. I wish everyone would take the time to read it and prevent cancer
Can cancer be prevented?
Environment: It is more and more clear that only a small number of cancers are inherited. Environmental factors or lifestyle choices seem to have the biggest influence on cancer prevention.
These environmental factors include smoking and other use of tobacco; infectious agents; radiation; industrial pollution; medication, food, nutrition, physical activity, and body composition.
What are these cancer prevention recommendations based on?
These cancer prevention recommendations are based on the second report titled “Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective” published by the World Cancer Research Fund together with the American Institute for Cancer Research in 2007. This is the most current and comprehensive analysis of the literature on diet, physical activity and cancer prevention.
The report is based on the in-depth analysis of over 7,000 scientific studies published on cancer prevention over the last 50 years
A panel of 21 world-renowned scientists reviewed the cancer research evidence and drew conclusions that led to our current cancer preventon recommendations.
What are these cancer prevention recommendations?
1. Body Fatness: Be as lean as possible within the normal range of body weight to prevent cancer
2. Physical Activity: Be physically active as part of everyday life
3. Foods And Drinks That Promote Weight Gain: Limit consumption of energy-dense foods and avoid sugary drinks to prevent cancer
4. Plant Foods: Eat mostly foods of plant origin to prevent cancer
5. Animal foods: Limit intake of red meat and avoid processed meat
6. Alcoholic Drinks: Limit alcoholic drinks. If alcoholic drinks are consumed, limit consumption to no more than two drinks a day for men and one drink a day for women
7. Preservation, Processing, Preparation: Limit consumption of salt and avoid mouldy cereals (grains) or pulses (legumes) to prevent cancer
8. Dietary Supplements: Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone. Dietary supplements are not recommended for cancer prevention. Anybody here taking any supplements which claims to prevent cancer?
Two Special cancer prevention recommendations
Breastfeeding: Mothers to breastfeed; children to be breastfed
Cancer Survivors: Follow the recommendations for cancer prevention
As always, Exercise Biology will only give you the top, unbiased scientific information to keep you healthy and fit.
Please share it with your friends and family.
Anoop | Mon April 09, 2012
I was trying to approve the comments and for some reason,all the comments got deleted.I am sorry.
But your question about the report. You can download the full report here: http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/cancer_resource_center/index.php
And I always have a reference at the end of the article.
Hope it helps.